Wednesday, August 19, 2009

i heart rocks

Did you know that? And I'm not talking diamonds and emeralds (though I'll take those any day). I'm talking about the ones that people kick out of their way when they're walking on a dirt road. Or the kind you have to rummage through other rocks to find. Or the kind you have to dig for. Like at the Tourmaline Mine dig near Julian (in San Diego county).
I've always loved rock hunting, ever since, well, since who knows. I remember in elementary going to find fossils and hunt for rocks in the mountains with my best friend Tammi and her family. I was SO excited.

So, anyways, back to the Tourmaline Mine dig. My sister Lisa and her good friend Dianne came down to visit and stay a few days with us. One of the main things on the agenda was digging for Tourmaline. We made sure to get there right when it opened and stayed the entire time. We didn't even take a break for lunch. (Told you I loved these things.) I had fun, sunburned my arms, starved myself just so I would have enough time to find just one more stone, got muddy feet, and came away with some good lookin' treasures.
Dianne, me, and Lisa after a long day of digging, washing, sifting, and looking.


My sister refilling the bins with clean water.

No comments: